- To be discussed
- Contract Type
- Contract Type
- Full Time
ESG is a market leading provider of innovative technology and services to the utilities and energy industry. We are creating a more competitive utilities sector, improving our customer’s lives through better service and greater choice and guiding our clients through complex industry change. Our mission is to empower global energy leaders to deliver their future promise of energy. Our automated software as a service, expert services and data insight enable competitive leaders to attract customers, provide the best service, innovate constantly and unlock new technology benefits for customers both in the UK and overseas. To date, ESG has enabled a significant number of new entrant energy suppliers to enter the industry and we manage several million customers on behalf of suppliers and metering companies.
As a Performance Test Engineer, you shall be assigned to various software applications in order to create robust, repeatable performance test frameworks that will ensure our applications are future proofed for any changes in design, increase in transactional volume or increase in userbase.
- Drive improvements and adoption of performance test frameworks, ideally using open-source principles, primarily jMeter.
- Identify and document performance test requirements such as;
- End-user, API and batch workload volumes
- Test data required to drive the tests and any bulk test data requirements
- Target response times
- Develop software and scripts to enhance and automate the performance engineering capability and which can support a continuous delivery pipeline.
- Provide advice on required software and hardware configuration to support current and forecast real customer workloads.
- Perform non-functional testing (stress, load, spike, volume, soak, scalability) within an agile software development environment.
- Build and design real world test scenarios by collecting, processing and extrapolating data from existing production systems.
- Create and maintain appropriate performance test environments that are fit for purpose, closely mirroring production systems wherever possible.
- Ensure performance testing isn’t an after-thought and is implemented as early as possible in the software development lifecycle.
- Ensure systems and applications are future-proofed and scalable to handle forecast workloads.
- Perform comprehensive non-functional testing and provide development teams with any diagnostic information they may need to remove bottlenecks.
- Create and maintain scripts that collect and report on clear actionable performance metrics such as workload achieved against the test targets, response times of all transactions types, error rates, key OS metrics, key database metrics etc.
- Analyse, report and repeat – analyse the performance metrics, share the findings, agree next steps
- Where required, provide support for installed ESG products by identifying and diagnosing any performance problems seen on production environments.
- You will be expected to work closely with the wider project team in order to better understand the system under test and set up appropriate performance test environments; including Scrum Masters, BA, Development, Architect, Test, DBAs etc
- Where required, actively participate in Agile Sprint ceremonies: Sprint Planning, Daily Stand-up, Sprint Retrospective
- Actively contribute to post-Sprint analysis; lessons learned etc
- Understand the importance of change control and work within a formal change control system
- Maintain rigorous compliance with project deliverables and industry standards
- Contribute to the Sprint Planning process by providing estimates of testing effort and elapsed time for the assigned work; to advise of any deviations from the plan
- High level programming/scripting languages, (eg Perl, Python, Windows Powershell, Windows CMD)
- Working experience on Windows systems
- Working knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server and/or MySQL databases
- Good understanding of Java JVM characteristics – how to profile them would be advantageous
- Be familiar with communication protocols/technologies, HTTP/HTTPS is essential
- Experience of Windows monitoring, eg perfmon
- Ability to recommend performance enhancing changes to the platform, software and databases
- Working knowledge of Database tuning/config
- Knowledge of or has worked with Atlassian products (Confluence and Jira)
You will have:
- Good problem-solving techniques
- Good inter-personal skills
- Ability to work well within a wider software engineering team
- Ability to manage own workload to ensure objectives and tasks are always delivered on time
- Passion for delivering quality to our customers
You will be:
- A self-starter and show initiative
- Able to project a professional image
- Articulate and diplomatic
- Able to work effectively under pressure
- Able to respond quickly in a fast-moving environment and be able to effectively manage your time and focus when priorities change
- ISO Responsibilities
- ISO Staff Awareness
- Follow IMS Policies
- Reporting of Incidents